Introduction and Overview about Oyakodon Recipe
The Oyakodon, a popular Japanese chicken and egg on a rice dish, is a good example of home cooking that is also fast and easy to make. If you are looking to cook Japanese food then the Oyakodon is definitely something you should try. This blog will be looking at oyakodon recipe. Let’s have a look.
Ingredients for Oyakodon:
200 g. short-grain round rice
1 glass and ¼ of water (exact measure to cook the rice)
400 g boneless skinless chicken hindquarters
2 or 3 free-range eggs
1 medium onion
Chopped parsley (or Japanese parsley)
Chives or chives, thinly sliced
For the sauce:
175 ml dashi broth (Japanese bonito broth)
1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tablespoon sake (rice liqueur)
1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
For the homemade dashi broth (it is also worth):
1 10 x 10 cm piece of kombu seaweed
10 g of katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
1 liter of water
- Large bowl
- Egg beater
Step by Step Instructions
- Prepare the dashi broth. Put the seaweed with the water in a large saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, without coming to a boil. Remove the foam that loosens on the surface. Remove the seaweed and add the bonito flakes. Raise the heat and let it boil for half a minute. Turn off and rest for 15 minutes. Strain and you are done.
- Cook the Japanese rice. Wash the rice several times. Pour it into the pot and put it with the glass and ¼ of water to soak for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower the heat to a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and rest for 15 minutes without opening the lid. Stir the rice to aerate it. Reserve covered so it does not get cold.
- Remove skin and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut it into julienne strips. Wash, dry, and chop the parsley, chives, and chives.
- In a frying pan, mix all the sauce ingredients. Put the onion and chicken.
- Heat and when it boils, lower the heat, cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs a little. Add them to the pan when the chicken is done. Cover and let them set for 2 or 3 minutes or to your liking, although it is normal to leave them very juicy.
- Put the rice in two bowls and spread the chicken with the egg on top. Garnish the oyakodon with a little more parsley and chives.
- And that’s it! Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tips, Tricks, and Tips
- IMPORTANT: when cooking rice, never open the lid of the pot until the end of the rest. The steam that is generated is needed to cook the rice and if you open it, it will escape.
- The oyakodon is usually made in a specific individual pan for this type of dish. However, you can perfectly do it in the pan you have and then distribute the content in the bowls.
- Sometimes this dish is served with a raw egg yolk on top. It is recommended that they are fresh and quality eggs or that they are pasteurized to be safe.
- You can also top it with some sesame seeds, both black and golden, or even nori seaweed in pieces or flakes. The Japanese seasoning called shichimi togarashi is also valid, which is a mixture of spices with a very mild spicy touch, delicious.
- The recipe calls for making a liter of dashi broth, but you only need one part. The one that you can freeze over.
- One way to take advantage of the used seaweed and bonito flakes is to make the dashi stock a second time, with the same seaweed and bonito flakes, following the same procedure and adding an additional 5 g of bonito flakes.
- Both the seaweed and the flakes used can be used as a condiment, to mix with rice, for example. All chopped very tiny.
Watch the YouTube video to see the Oyakodon recipe visually
Helping Video about Oyakodon Recipe
(Click the red icon below to start the video)