Introduction and Overview about Alfajor Recipe
The alfajor is a traditional Argentinean confection made of a cookie-like base, dulce de leche or manjar, and chocolate topped either with chopped nuts or grated coconut. Without further ado, here is our alfajor recipe.
Ingredients for Alfajor:
- 250 grams of margarine
- 150 grams of sugar (¾ cup)
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 grams of flour
- 300 grams of cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 lemon
- 1 handful of grated coconut
- 400 grams of dulce de leche
- Large bowl
- Dough maker
Step by Step Instructions
- To start with the preparation of the alfajores, take a container and mix the margarine with the sugar until you get a smooth cream. To do this, the margarine must be at room temperature.
- Now, add the egg yolks one by one and integrate them into the dough for the Maizena alfajores. Then, grate the lemon and incorporate this zest while you continue beating. If you wish, you can substitute this ingredient for vanilla essence, the background flavor of the homemade alfajores is to taste. At this point, preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- To continue with the recipe for cornstarch alfajores, now add the previously sifted flour along with the cornstarch and the baking powder. You can sift it all together without problems, the important thing is that you do not skip this step to obtain a much smoother and smoother mixture.
- You will see that as you integrate the flour you should begin to knead with your hands, do it until you obtain a consistent, thick dough without lumps. Then roll it out with a rolling pin leaving a thickness of 0.5 cm. Cut medium circles, about three or four centimeters in diameter, and place them on the previously floured baking tray to form the alfajores.
- Bake the cornstarch alfajores for approximately 5-7 minutes, until the circles are lightly golden brown. You mustn’t brown them excessively because then they will be crispy and not soft homemade alfajores.
- When they’re done, remove them from the oven and let them cool. Then, take one of the circles, spread the dulce de leche, and place another circle on top.
- We encourage you to consult our recipes to prepare the filling yourself and if you dare to try other combinations, you can also fill your recipe for homemade cornstarch alfajores with pastry cream or chocolate.
- Now that you know how to prepare cornstarch alfajores with its original recipe and a delicious filling of dulce de leche and coconut, all you have to do is take a bite and enjoy them together as a family. Cornstarch alfajor is an incredible sweet that everyone always likes for its texture and flavor.
Watch the YouTube video to see the Alfajor recipe visually
Helping Video about Alfajor Recipe
(Click the red icon below to start the video)