Introduction and Overview about Aloo Paratha Recipe
Paratha is a flatbread made in many parts of India and eaten along with curries and spicy lentils. The dough is very similar to chapatti and can be made into a layered paratha or a stuffed paratha. The stuffing can be filled with vegetables and spices to create a paratha that tastes different each time you make it. This aloo paratha recipe is very easy to make and very tasty as well. Let’ have a look.
Ingredients for Aloo Paratha:
For the mass
White wheat flour – 165 grams
Water – 80 grams
Olive oil – 20 grams
Salt – 3.5 grams
For the filling and Frying
Peeled and cooked potato – 255 grams
Raw onion – 40 grams
Finely chopped dried tomatoes – 15 grams
Ground black pepper – a pinch
Coriander seeds powder – 1 teaspoon
Ground cumin – One third teaspoon
Salt to taste
Ghee or clarified butter: If we don’t want to complicate things, we can fry the bread in butter or margarine.
- Large bowl
- Frying pan
- Cooking pot
Step by Step Instructions
- We cook the potatoes, peeled and divide them into large pieces. We cook until they soften. We throw the cooking water, let it cool, and reserve.
- In a medium bowl, we add flour, water, oil, and salt. We mix until the flour has absorbed the water. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let the dough rest for 20 minutes. This rest will make the flour hydrate completely and it will cost us less to knead.
- After the resting time, we pour the dough on the work surface and knead until our dough has an elastic appearance. Once achieved, we put the dough in the bowl and cover it with the cloth. We let it rest while we finish preparing the filling.
- With the help of a fork, we break the potatoes until they are pureed. Add all the spices, the dried tomatoes in small pieces, and the finely chopped onion. We mix well.
- Then we divide the dough into 10 balls of about 27 grams of weight. We take one of the balls and, with the help of a roller, we flatten it to form a disk of about 8 centimeters in diameter.
- Now we repeat the process with another ball of dough. In one of the discs, we put a tablespoon and a half of filling. We distribute it without reaching the edge.
- We moisten the edge with water, but the other disk is on top and press to seal. We let the bread rest for 5 minutes before giving it the final shape. We repeat the process with the rest of the balls.
- While the bread rests, we heat a pan with a little ghee. After the 5 minutes of rest of our bread, we pass the rolling pin over it and flatten it until it reaches a diameter of about 18 centimeters.
- The bread must be thin. Be careful not to press too hard on the edge so that the filling does not come out.
- Now we fry the loaves one by one. We put bread, we fry it 2 or 3 minutes, over low heat, on one side, we turn it over and fry another 2 or 3 minutes. We will fry our bread until golden areas appear on their surface.
- We will add a tablespoon of ghee each time the pan dries. The normal thing is to have to add ghee between bread and bread, and sometimes you even have to add it every time we turn the bread. We let our bread cool slightly and serve warm.
Watch the YouTube video to see the Aloo Paratha recipe visually
Helping Video about Aloo Paratha Recipe in English
(Click the red icon below to start the video)