Introduction and Overview about Congee Recipe
Congee, or porridge, is a Chinese rice-based dish. It’s popular in many Asian countries. I’m not sure where the story started, but apparently, the Chinese were so poor they fed their children rice mixed with water. Some believed that it gave the children extra nutrients, but it was probably just that they couldn’t afford better food. However, if you think of it as a baby food, then it’s not a bad thing. It is one of the most popular breakfast foods in Asia. This congee recipe guide shows you how to cook this tasty dish.
Ingredients for Congee:
- 150 gr of Thai rice
- 2 carrots
- 1 spring onion
- 2 chicken breasts
- 900 ml of water or chicken broth
- 30 ml of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Large bowl
- Cooking pot
- Knife Sharpner
Step by Step Instructions
- We are going to start this delicious rice soup by preparing the vegetables. We will peel and cut the carrots very finely and reserve them while we continue with the rest of the ingredients.
- We will repeat the operation with the chives, an ingredient that will give it an extra point of sweet flavor and that crunchy touch.
- We get to work with the chicken breasts, we will remove any skins they may have and wash them under a good stream of cold water. If they are very large, we chop the breasts so that they integrate better in this soup.
- We prepare the pot. We put the chicken broth or water, it will always have more flavor with the broth that will give it greater intensity. We add the carrots, the chicken, and a little wine. We let these ingredients simmer for about 25 minutes.
- We will rectify the salt and pepper so that they have the right flavor. When the chicken is cooked we remove it from the broth and chop them. We reserve for the final phase of this dish.
- We put the rice and let it cook for about 20 minutes. After this time we put the chicken back in the soup. We will have a rice soup with chicken full of flavor, but we will lack the oriental touch.
- We serve one bowl of this delicious soup per person. It must be especially hot to enjoy it. On top, we decorate it with the chopped chives to give it that crunchy touch that interests us. We can add a few drops of soy sauce, the result will be spectacular.
Watch the YouTube video to see the Congee recipe visually
Helping Video about Congee Recipe
(Click the red icon below to start the video)