Introduction and Overview of Masala Vada Recipe
In this post, we are going to tell you the Masala Vada recipe. Masala vada is one of the 10 vadas from Indian cuisine. Masala means “spices” and vada is something fried in Indian cuisine. There are different kinds of masalas used in masala vada like onion, ginger, chilies, garlic, coriander, mint along with lentils. It is a very savory snack and can be found throughout India on small food carts. So, without waiting anymore, let’s get started with our “Masala Vada recipe”.
3 Hrs 40 Mins
Ingredients for Masala Vada:
- 1 cup of yellow lentils
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 – 3 green chilies
- 1 red chili
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon mint leaves (optional)
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Large bowl
- Deep bottomed skillet
Step by Step Instructions
- Soak the lentils in water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and reserve 1 or 2 tablespoons of lentils. Grind the rest with green chili, red chili, and fennel seeds.
- Grind until a paste is neither too soft nor too hard.
- Transfer the ground lentils to a bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients along with the reserved lentil. Add enough salt to taste. Mix the ingredients well.
- Heat the oil in a deep bottomed skillet to fry. Make small portions of the mixture. Form a ball and flatten it. Apply a little water to the palm of your hand while doing it.
- Gently dip the pancakes in the oil and fry them on both sides. Fry them until golden brown. Place the pancakes on a paper napkin to absorb the excess oil.
- The crispy masala vada recipe is completed. Serve them hot with tomato sauce.
Watch the YouTube video to see the Dal Vada Recipe visually